I had read on the Lapbandtalk message boards yesterday that birth controls may not be affective after undergoing WLS. I decided to call my gynecologist to be safe and ask about her opinions on the subject. She was in surgery yesterday, so I received a call this morning.
BAD NEWS. She agreed that some people are unable to absorb the hormones properly, and that it can really vary from person to person. She recommends a few options for people with WLS: the Nuva ring, Mirena IUD, Paragaurd IUD, and some other IUD I did not catch the name of. She does not recommend Depo-Provera for obvious reasons.
I will be trying the Nuva ring out, and if I don't like it, I will switch to Mirena. I am just really glad I found this out now, instead of 6 months down the line.
Interesting information. I hadn't thought about BC issues after surgery. Congrats on doing so well after surgery.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I think an ooopsie surprise so soon after the band might not have been such a pleasant experience. Glad you were proactive with that and got it all in hand early on!
ReplyDelete