Last night, we went out to eat at a local restaurant (If you're ever in Portland, try out the B-u-f-f-a-l-o G-a-p). They used to have this amazingly delicious sandwich on their menu we would go there for, but discontinued it about a year ago. I know go for their soup/small salad combo because they have this awesome chili! I ate most of the salad and had maybe 1 cup of chili (out of about 2.5 cups). Near the end of the meal, I knew I was getting to be satiated, but did not know if I was actually done. I've come to realize there are three questions I am now asking myself when nearing the end of a meal: Am I still eating because I'm hungry, because the food is good, or because I need to finish the plate? Last night I was kind of stumped, so I ate a few more bites and felt the confirmation I had been waiting for. After we paid and got to the car, I realized I'd eaten too much and had that uncomfortable feeling that accompanies a full belly.
Isn't it interesting the psychological mindset we have? All three questions I ask myself have distinctive recognitions and definite meanings. I find sometimes I continue eat because the food is so good and I just want more, and others I have this need to finish the food- not because it's so great, but just because it is there. I guess the truth is that our relationships with food have gotten completely out of wack as we got heavier and we learned to look at food as more of an enjoyment/happy thing than nourishment. I am now actively trying to listen to what my real hunger level is saying, but it can be hard to separate the head hunger from real hunger. I know as I continue down my path, I will learn to recognize the truth, and I just need to keep watching for the true signs.
I am also happy to report that this morning we went to Hometown Buffet for breakfast and I did not stuff myself like a cow! I thought about the things I could eat before I got there, and decided scrambled eggs and some potatoes would be okay. I decided that I would avoid the bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, cereals, and other baked goods. I did try some of the country fried steak, but am overall proud of my ability to stick with my plan. In the past I would have gone in there and gotten two breakfast plates and then made a return trip to the dessert bar, as well as two glasses of milk. Today I had my one plate and as I sat there, I consciously counted my bites, set down my fork, and tried to have nice in-between bites conversation. Because I ate slow enough, I realized when I was full and left the rest of the potatoes and country fried steak on my plate. One thing that slightly annoyed me was that as we were paying, the cashier kept trying to push a beverage on me. As I said no a couple times, she would ask incredulously about orange juice, milk, etc, etc. I almost wanted to yell at her that I had WLS and can't drink with my meals!
We also went to the store and I bought a duffel bag for the gym, along with some travel shampoo/conditioner, a brush, small lotion, and soap holder! I was really happy to discover yesterday that the gym I'm going to had private showers (something I've not seen in the other 24 Hour Fitness locations I've been to) so I can actually shower there without feeling embarrassed/ashamed of my body. I also went over my gym schedule for the next week and put it into my calendar so I have some accountability.
On another note, tomorrow will be 28 days since surgery. I am pretty much on regular foods now, but am kind of sticking with softer things. I haven't tested grilled chicken or anything of that sort yet. I feel great!
Great job on finding your 'full signals'!! Sounds like Hometown Buffet was a real success.
ReplyDeleteI feel ya on the beverage thing, I started doing that on my 6 month pre-op diet and finally just started getting a water and pushing it over on my hubbie's side of the table. Then they stop bugging me!!
I will have to try that restaurant :). I haven't been there. Hopefully you will get more and more used to stupid waiters and their bugging. The water one is the hardest for them I have found. I, like Morgan, just push my water over towards my husband.
ReplyDeleteI have forced my family to give up buffets all-together though. The quality just isn't good enough anymore for the wimpy amount I get out of the deal :)
We will have to get together sometime!! I am in Hillsboro.
xxxooo
Yes, the drink will probably be an issue, and I will just order a water from now on.
DeleteThe only reason we did the buffet was because it's $5.99 per person :) I figured why go and spend $10 on a meal that I'll only eat 1/4 to 1/3 of? I don't think I would go to a lunch/dinner buffet because of cost.
We should get together sometime!