I'm disappointed in myself tonight. I found myself in the grocery store in a moment of weakness buying broth and cream soups, and all of the sudden I'm walking out of the store with a corn dog too! Even though my resolve is 100% and I don't feel particularly nervous about my upcoming surgery, I do think I'm sort of having a food funeral of sorts.
When I went in for my pre-op class today (which wasn't really a class because it was just me), I sat down with the dietician and went over foods. Because I have perused Lap Band Talk for many moons, I know most of what the particular stages require. She did show me little plastic foods for an idea of what the proper portion size is for different meats, and then said that I shouldn't eat hot dogs sausages, etc because of the other additives. And then I bought a corn dog. I think I see a tiny correlation, but am blaming it on being caught in the store on a really hungry stomach. Oops. I am so sure about this surgery that it seems ridiculous to pseudo-sabotage myself, but I guess the main point to take away is that I got myself back into the right mindset.
The psychiatrist at my surgeon's office is hoping to do a 7 week course sometime in the next month about overeating, based on the book "The end of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite." Apparently he did it last year and it was a big hit. I would love to have this available, because it is something I struggle with if I let myself eat certain things.
I've also been perusing around for things for after surgery. As I said, I did buy packages of different Wolfgang Puck broths, as I heard many people recommend these if you actually had to drink broth. While I was in the naturals aisle at my local Freddies, I also saw cream soups without chunks, which are okay for me to eat after surgery. I decided to try a split pea, a garden broccoli, and a red potato with garlic- hopefully they taste good, but I probably won't try them til after surgery, since they need to be used in a set amount of time.
While talking with the dietician, she recommended a book called " Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery." I've added both the Overeating title and this title to my Amazon wish list and will buy them ASAP, as they are both currently on sale. I am also awaiting a reply from my surgeon's assistant in regards to if a abdominal binder is provided for after surgery. I have seen many people praising the binder's because they just hold everything together and your tummy doesn't get jostled after surgery. One gal eloquently explained that she had been large at time of surgery and could only have imagined how painful recovery would have been because of her belly weight pulling at the incision sites.
Okay, off to read some Lapbandtalk.com posts :)
No comments:
Post a Comment