Seems likes it's been awhile since I've written an "official" entry, so here goes.
I've been doing well living the banded life. I can say with 100% certainty that I both love my band and would do this again in a heartbeat. Two months ago I sat at this computer freshly post-op hoping that the band would be the answer to my weight curse. I didn't know if it would work like it did for other people. I was going forward with desperate hope and committed to making lifestyle changes necessary for success.
Today, I sit here 43 pounds lighter, in a size 16, and generally happier each day with the reflection I see in the mirror. It's funny how the change snuck up on me- last week I noticed I needed to buy a belt and that my underwear was quickly transforming into a floating device. This weekend, I decided to show my honey how close I was to fitting into some 16's I had bought at a mega clearance sale. The next instant I was jumping around and running to the mirror because those 16's buttoned and fit! I don't know how I didn't realize I had gone from a 22 to a 16, but it was an exciting shock :)
Another thing that this journey has brought me to is the renewed love of the outdoors. I grew up on a farm and could often be found on the weekends hiking through the woods or at the coast fishing, clamming, crabbing etc. The past few years, those things have not even crossed my hemisphere. About a month ago, I went to visit my honey (who lives in a rural area with vast hiking terrain) and found myself wanting to walk, walk, walk. Now, I'm religiously researching backpacking equipment because I am so into hiking that I want to take it one step further. I am gracious for the freedom the band has given me to live my life again and not be controlled by my weight.
Now, onto the more technical details of my journey. I am now at 4cc in a 10cc band. I have had two fills and have felt definite restriction since my last fill on 5/11/12. I am able to eat a small amount of food (usually about 1-1.5cups) and feel satisfied from it. I have experienced multiple stucks and have now learned to chew, chew, chew and really focus on the consistency of my food before I swallow. My band does kick in and give me some heads up when I'm eating too much. I have not had any type of PB because I listen immediately to my band if it gives me a nudge.
In eating out situations, I have ordered a burger with fries. I usually cut the burger in half, remove the bun from that half, and eat it with a fork. I then have about 1/4 of the fries and push my meal onto whatever unsuspecting soul is there (my honey, who is the human garbage disposal with a metabolism like lightening!). I've been pretty proud of myself with my ability to recognize portion size and stick to my guns.
On mention of portion size, I have seemingly adjusted to either eating my meals on salad plates or using a bowl to dish up. I don't use a measuring cup to measure out 1 cup, but can say with a lot of certainty that I usually stick right around the proper food portion. If you would have asked me three or four months ago if 1 cup of food would have satisfied me, I would have laughed. I couldn't have gone out to a restaurant without practically licking my plate, if that's any descriptor...
Okay, I am off to bed. I hope everyone else is doing well :)
WOW - you're doing FANTASTIC!! And Woo Hoo on the size 16 jeans! You have a great attitude - keep up the great work!!
ReplyDelete