Today I had my 6 month checkup with the dietician and physical therapist. I have two other checkups with the surgeon and psychologist at the end of the month.
The nutritionist said I am doing very well and to keep doing what I'm doing, so that was all good and dandy. We talked about the mental side of the journey and suggestions for getting in more fruits and veggies.
The physical therapist, on the other hand, said I needed to start doing some strength training at least twice per week. She said so far, my weight loss (both fat and lean) has been good and that I'm losing 2.2 pounds of fat per 1 pound of muscle. She said that as I start to get closer to my ideal weight, that if I do not do any strength training my metabolism will slow and that I might have a really hard time in maintenance because muscle burns more calories than fat.
I've now looked at the classes available at my local gym for strength training, but they aren't at ideal times. I remember a long time ago that 24 Hour Fitness had specific weight machines marked as part of a 30 minute workout, so I am hoping that is still the case. The physical therapist said that the new recommended workout is one set of 15 reps instead of the old 3 sets of 10 reps, mainly because studies were finding that people are doing less strength training, so this gets maximum benefit in minimal time.
I still want to try a kickboxing class, but I ended up getting a refund on my Living Social deal to a local studio because they kept telling me they were full (for four months) and it was about to expire. Boooo.
Kickboxing is super fun and a killer killer workout.
ReplyDelete